Free weatherization for income-qualified customers
For a limited time, Nicor Gas customers who live in a single-family home and have been income qualified by an approved agency may qualify to receive free air sealing and insulation. When determining eligibility, all customers will have energy-saving products installed at no cost.
This opportunity is open to current Nicor Gas customers who:
- Have been income qualified by an approved agency partner
- Have a natural gas heating system in their home, such as a furnace or boiler
- Live in a single-family home that shows no signs of mold, moisture, structural or roof damage, or other unsafe situations that prevent completion of the work
The installation of the air sealing and insulation upgrades is a two-step process.
Part one: Home assessment and installation of free products
An authorized contractor will assess your home’s current air sealing and insulation measures and make sure there are no conditions present such as of mold, moisture, structural or roof damage, or other unsafe situations that would prevent the work from moving forward.
During the initial contractor visit, all customers will have free energy-savings products installed, including:
- One or two Watersense showerhead(s)
- One dual-spray kitchen faucet aerator
- Two bathroom faucet aerators
- Water heater pipe insulation
- Programmable thermostat if applicable
Part two: Air sealing and insulation work
If your house is eligible for the weatherization improvements, the contractor will schedule a second appointment to return and install the free air sealing and insulation products.
The free weatherization improvements for qualifying homes may include:
- Attic insulation
- Knee wall insulation
- Basement sidewall insulation
- Basement air sealing
- Attic hatch air sealing
- Sealing of ductwork
- Window caulk
- Installation of door sweep
- Band joist air sealing
- Door weather stripping
All work will be performed free of charge by contractors authorized and selected by the energySMART team.
If you have questions or want to learn more, please contact us.