The Emerging Technology Program selects and assesses promising new technologies that have the potential to realize natural gas savings for Nicor Gas customers. The program helps to introduce new energy-efficiency technologies and practices to the market.
Pilot assessments provide important information on the real-world performance, operating energy savings and installation costs of future Nicor Gas Energy Efficiency Program offerings.
What is an emerging technology?
An emerging technology is a product or practice that is commercially available, but hasn’t yet been widely adopted by customers.
How is the Emerging Technology Program different from other
Nicor Gas Energy Efficiency Programs?
The Emerging Technology Program focuses on technologies that are new to the market or have not yet achieved broad market adoption. After conducting pilot assessments, the technologies are evaluated to determine if they should be added to the Nicor Gas Energy Efficiency Program.
Program participation requirements
We invite you to submit your energy-efficiency concepts through our online application system.
How do I apply?
Click on the “Apply Online” button on the right-hand side of this page. You will be asked to provide basic information about the emerging technology. This process can be completed in five minutes or less. After completing this step, you will receive a confirmation email including your application status.
Who can apply?
- Any manufacturer or vendor of a new product or practice that has the potential to realize natural gas savings for Nicor Gas customers.
- Any product or practice for residential, commercial or industrial applications.
- Applicants need not be Nicor Gas customers.
- Pilot assessments must be conducted at Nicor Gas customer sites.
- Proposed products and practices must be in compliance with all local, state and federal regulations.
- Transportation-related technologies (e.g., natural gas vehicles) and on-site fuel switching technologies (e.g., combined heat and power systems) are not eligible.
When can I apply?
The application process is open through May 31, 2014.
What conditions must the technology and applicant meet?
Emerging technologies must be commercially available products. Prototype units are not eligible. Applicants should be prepared to provide functioning units for pilot assessments. Subsidies for equipment or installation costs may be available.
The Emerging Technology Program team will work with applicants to identify pilot assessment sites in the Nicor Gas service territory.
Program participation benefits
Participation in the Emerging Technology Program is the first step in determining if your product or practice should be eligible for a Nicor Gas Energy Efficiency Program rebate.
If an applicant is selected for a pilot assessment, the Nicor Gas Energy Efficiency Program will provide:
- Assessment-related technical consulting, design and engineering assistance.
- Customer incentives for equipment and installation, depending on project specifics.
- Monitoring and data collection to demonstrate savings.
- Project summary of results when the pilot assessment is complete.
Pilots that establish promising therm savings in the Nicor Gas service territory will be considered for rebate offerings in the Nicor Gas Energy Efficiency Program.